I turned 50 this year (Sep 2010) – I read these to the guests after blowing out the candles on my cake. Thanks to Sara, Ross and everyone who helped throw me a great party.
- Make friends like a dog, cuddle like a cat, and collect nuts like a squirrel.
- You are what you do every day – think about it and then ask “What did I do today?”
- Loving is the little things you do everyday for someone you care about.
- Never stop learning – someone who doesn’t read is no different than someone who can’t read – a closed mind is “kaput”.
- You can never know enough, but you can be too smart for your own good.
- Sometimes it is much harder to say “yes” than it is to say “no” – but it almost always is more rewarding.
- Never, ever, stop asking why?
- Travel more – your point of view can always use a new map pin.
- People are generally good – but some people are ignorant and some people are jerks. Don’t listen to the ignorant and don’t bother with the jerks.
- Live your life like there is no tomorrow, but treat the Earth better than a library book.
- Leave your campsite in better condition than when you found it.
- Thank goodness women are built like they are – I can’t think of a better design.
- Thank goodness women are understanding of the crazy stuff men do.
- Thank goodness my memory works in such a way that I can’t remember the crazy stuff women do (see #12).
- A messy desk is not a sign of a messy mind.
- One man’s piles are another woman’s mess.
- It is not actually all about “who dies with the most toys wins”.
- If you aren’t very good at something, you might not be asked to do it again.
- Believe every fortune cookie.
- Luck is believing enough to make stuff happen the way you want it to.
- Bad Luck is not understanding that what you think can actually happen.
- Learn from the best: Spirit like Teddy Roosevelt, Ingenuity like Albert Einstein, Imagination like Dr. Seuss, Wisdom like Yoda, Leadership like Captain Picard, Compete like Captain Kirk and Enjoy life like Doctor Who.
- Life is a journey – a journey with vista points, attractions, historical markers, souvenir shops, and some really scary public bathrooms.
- Life is like a box of chocolates – some times you just have to take one, bite it, and spit out the bad ones.
- Life is like an arcade game – you got to put a token in, you might not get to play what you want, sometimes you get a one up, some times you have to use the smart bomb, and when you win your only recognition is 3 measly letters that will disappear when it gets unplugged,